2013 resolution-- log all things read/watched/listened to/enjoyed.


Pillars of the Earth- Ken Follett: I kept reading this massive novel for the cathedral building stuff, cos the drama itself was fairly weak. Also, I wanted something massive for Christmas break. It was alright.

The Hobbit (film): Felt bloated and twee, compared to LOTR. Didn't help that I had just re-read the book, one of my pre-teen favorites. But it was fun and I love middle-earth and, Thorin's eyes...

The Master, PTA, 2012: Good. And I kinda hate Joaquin P, and I wish there had been more PSH dynamism/insanity, but overall, lovely. Loved the ending scene.
Paranormal Activity 4: Meh. My mom was terrified, though.

Salem's Lot- King: Finally got around to reading, it was standard-enjoyable King.

Sleepwalk With Me, Mike Birbiglia, 2012: Good. Sincere. Really liked it. Excellent writing. Birbiglia is sometimes too NPR-happy-to-be-mediocre for me, like Paul Rudd or something, but I like him, and he did a great job.

Take This Waltz, Sarah Polley, 2011: Very good. Escaped possible twee-ness most of the time. Uncannily sincere and realistic script, and thus made me fairly uncomfortable with memories I'd rather ignore. Also, man-candy.

Pontypool, Bruce Macdonald, 2008: Good, smart, atmospheric, funny horror.

The Signal, several directors, 2007: Also good, smart, funny, gory horror. 

Reading now:
State of Grace- Ann Patchett
The Day of the Triffids- John Wyndham

Infinite Jest (I read half a few years ago, finally finishing)- DFW
John Dies at the End- David Wong



Want to read: New George Saunders

Comments

Popular Posts